Radio Nets (“Nets”) and Net Control Stations (“NCS”) are a highly visible part of the Silvercreek Amateur Radio Association and how nets operate and NCS behave has a significant impact on the public perception of our organization. The following rules and guidelines apply to all Nets and NCS along with the Constitution, Bylaws, and Repeater Code of Conduct.
- Local RF use of the repeater is always prioritized over any linking technology for scheduling and planning purposes.
- No formal directed Net may be held on W8WKY 147.390 without the permission of the SARA Executive Committee. This includes network-based linking to non-SARA-related directed nets held on other repeaters or conference hubs.
- Directed nets may be linked on demand on W8WKY 442.275 subject to the prioritization of local RF traffic and so long as the Technical Committee does not object.
- For any Net held as a locally originated net (i.e., a “SARA-branded Net”), all NCS must be members in good standing of SARA. A non-member NCS may be permitted only with the express permission of the SARA Executive Committee.
- All NCS must uphold the dignity and objectives of SARA. This includes SARA’s welcoming attitude to all hams, support of new hams, and keeping a professional, helpful attitude to all hams who may struggle with the processes and procedures of a Net. At its sole discretion, the SARA Executive Committee may remove an NCS from a Net.
- No NCS is empowered to ban or ignore any properly licensed operator on any Net. Malicious interference [as described by 47 C.F.R. § 97.101(d)] or persistent misbehavior on the air should be ignored and, if it is not reasonable to ignore the behavior and still hold a Net, the Net should be terminated by the NCS. In severe cases of malicious interference, the Operations Manager or a member of the Technical Committee should be contacted immediately to shut off the repeater as a function of the control operator.
- Any persistent misbehavior or malicious interference [47 C.F.R. § 97.101(d)] should be referred to the Operations Manager and/or the President for further action. NCS are not empowered to take unilateral disciplinary action. NCS should record the time(s) and note the nature of the behavior or interference in the report so that audio archives can be retrieved and examined when available. The SARA Executive Committee reserves the sole right under 47 C.F.R. § 97.205(e) to restrict use of the repeaters and, by extension, the Nets on the repeaters.
Approved by the SARA Executive Committee on 2021-07-13.